Saturday, April 16, 2011

Yeeva Cheng's "Random Impulse 1" from Random Impulses 1&2 (4/14/2011) (Classmate Response)

http://yeevacheng.blogspot.com/2011/04/random-impulses-1-4142011.html

This is such a lovely poem to me, although I don't know if what I get out of it is what the piece intended.  The way I see it, materials, like the "glass bottles, pianos, photographs /  [and] objects of love" are important to the other students, but "stuff" isn't what's important in life to Yeeva.  When she draws a pen in her hand and writes "Sincerely, Yeeva," I figure that this is a symbol for writing being something that is an important part of her life.  And when she crosses it out to write "Love, Yeeva," after pondering the "difference between love and life," it seems as though she realises that there is not any difference between love and life.  It seems like she's also making a statement that she loves writing, and that is why it is life to her.  If the art students are drawing things that they love as being the most valuable parts of life, then what would they live for if there was nothing they loved?  This may be how Yeeva concludes that the two abstracts are synonymous.  The only aspect of the poem I would personally need more clarity on is the ending.  Why will the life-long "words of love" need "very little meaning"?  I think that regardless of what certain poems really mean, readers can often find their own meaning that helps them to relate to the poem, or be inspired by it.  I feel inspired when reading about life and love being the same, because I want to spend my life only doing the things I love to do, and if I know that is what life is all about, then i'll feel like I'm living the way I was meant to live.  I hope this makes sense :)         

No comments:

Post a Comment